The landscape for impact investing in Southeast Asia
Introduction and motivation for the study
Impact investing is a growing practice defined by its intent to generate positive social and environmental impact alongside a financial return. Impact investments are made across the globe, and developing economies provide ample opportunities for market-based solutions and investment capital to address social and environmental challenges. Southeast Asia is developing rapidly, but the region also faces social and environmental challenges that offer substantial potential for impact investments. Indeed, almost a third of impact investors invest in Southeast Asia, and 44% plan to grow their impact investing allocations to the region in the year ahead. The Landscape for Impact Investing in Southeast Asia report provides much-needed information about the impact investing market in Southeast Asia to inform investors already allocating capital or considering investing in the region.
This report provides detailed information about the investing activity and trends in 11 countries: Brunei, Cambodia, East Timor, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam. It outlines challenges and opportunities for impact investors and analyzes political and economic factors that may inform investment decisions in each country.
The report comprises five chapters: an executive summary, three chapters examining Indonesia, the Philippines, and Vietnam in detail, and an overview of the region’s remaining countries.
The following is provided for each country:
- An overview of the country’s social and economic context;
- The activities of impact investors, including the volume of investment activity;
- The characteristics of organizations and enterprises receiving impact investing capital;
- Information on the supporting ecosystem, including the roles played by accelerators, incubators, networks, and policymakers;
- Gender lens investing awareness and activity; and
- A discussion of key challenges and opportunities for growing the market.